By now, everyone has heard about the absolutely tragic murder of Dr. George Tiller, who ran a women's health clinic in Kansas that provided late-term abortions for women who needed them due to dire medical complications. Dr. Tiller has been a target of radical pro-lifers for years, having been shot once before, and had received a constant barrage of death threats and pointless lawsuits.
The man who shot and killed Dr. Tiller acted alone, and one should not judge the entire pro-life movement on the actions of one deranged individual, though I can't help but feel that his malicious deed was in part due to the movers and shakers in the pro-life camp; had they not spilled their hate-fueled campaign against Tiller, then he would likely be alive today. And one such person who specifically targeted Tiller was Bill O'Reilly.
In fact, O'Reilly held such disdain for Dr. Tiller that he commonly referred to him as "Tiller the Baby Killer". And after Tiller's death, do you think that O'Reilly felt any remorse about making him a constant target for the right-wing media? Of course not! He just lied about ever calling Tiller a "baby killer" in the first place:
"It took just minutes after the report of Tiller's murder for the far-left loons to hit the websites. Postings on the Daily Kos and The Huffington Post immediately blamed me and Fox News for inciting Tiller's killer. Even though I reported on the doctor honestly, the loons asserted that my analysis of him was "hateful."
Chief of among the complaints was the doctor's nickname, "Tiller the baby killer." Some pro-lifers branded him with that, and I reported it. So did hundreds of other news sources. But the bigger picture here is the glorification of Tiller."
"Oh, I didn't call him "Tiller the baby killer," O'Reilly claims, "I just reported that other pro-lifers called him that." Well, not according to Media Matters:
How does it feel to have your own words come back and bite you in the ass, O'Reilly?
"However, O'Reilly has not only "reported" on the term's usage by "pro-lifers," but he has adopted it himself, repeatedly referring to Tiller as "the baby killer" on his Fox News show:
- On the May 15 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly stated that Kathleen Sebelius, who was then the governor of Kansas and is now secretary of health and human services, "is the most pro-abortion governor in the United States. Based upon Dr. Tiller, the baby killer in her state, and all of that. All right? So there's no doubt."
- On the May 11 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly said Sebelius "is pro-abortion. She wants the babies done for. This is -- she supported Tiller the baby killer out there."
- On the April 27 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly said that Sebelius "recently vetoed a bill that placed restrictions on late-term abortions in Kansas. The bill was introduced because of the notorious Tiller the baby killer case, where Dr. George Tiller destroys fetuses for just about any reason right up until the birth date for $5,000."
- On the April 3 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly said, "Tiller got acquitted in Kansas, Tiller the baby killer."
- On the March 27 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly stated: "Now, we have bad news to report, that Tiller the baby killer out in Kansas -- acquitted. Acquitted today of murdering babies. I wasn't in the courtroom. I didn't sit on the jury. But there's got to be a special place in hell for this guy.""
Bill O'Reilly is a vile, little man - vile for his moronic, loud-mouthed attitude, vile for his asinine ideology and vile for constantly lying through his teeth.